Monday, August 18, 2008

Reporting from Hurricane Central Sarasota

Dolphin Fountain, Downtown Sarasota, FL

Hurricane Update, Sarasota Florida

Tuesday Morning Update: 5:15 am
Hurricane warnings cancelled -- now Tropical Storm Fay. Should be rainy and windy most of today. Haven't seen a raindrop yet so Snuffy and I will get our walk in early this morning since the storm is still considerably south of Sarasota.
Update: 8:15 pm Sandy Whitehead was just here for dinner. We talked Sarasota real estate and the weather and then I checked my email -- another email from one of the MS Maes, Laurie McGee in Greenville, MS. I reported that hopefully this will be no more than a tropical storm!! The last time I check with the weather center the storm was about 140 miles south of Ft. Myers.
Update: 3:00 pm Goverment offices in addition to school will be closed tomorrow (Tuesday). Clouds are getting darker in Sarasota -- just saw the first rain drop at 3:04 pm. Possible tropical storm conditions tomorrow.

Update: 1:00 pm Check out Channel 10 Tampa Bay to track Hurricane Fay.

Update: Noon

Schools will be closed tomorrow according to local Channel 10 news. The hurricane track looks like it is headed for Sarasota, but this could change over time. For the time being, there are no mandatory evacuations. Temperature is 87 degrees, and it is getting a little cloudy. I just spoke with Sandy Whitehead who is on her way back to Sarasota. She's near Naples and was in pouring rain. Tomorrow will be a messy day. Don't panic and be prepared.

Early this morning, about 6:15 am, Snuffy Smith and I took a long walk. We may not be able to walk in Paradise if Fay hits Sarasota this week. I noticed that my yard needs to be cut and hope that the landscaping company shows up as scheduled on Mondays. Our Sarasota neighborhood is quiet as it's barely dawn -- our best time to walk.

Okay, I'll make that hurricane run to the grocery store. It's unFloridian not to do this and just plain stupid not to be prepared! My next door neighbor is outside, and we chat about all the hype in the news about Hurricane Fay. She works and is worried her employees won't show up. My customer from West Virginia just cancelled our showings of Sarasota real estate because he didn't want to be stranded in Paradise. I understand, not really! Who wouldn't want to be in Sarasota a few extra days.

Publix was not crowded at all at 7:45 am, and I got all the hurricane items I needed, water. I'll fill the car with gas after Snuffy and I walk tomorrow. At 9:45 am, I'm delighted to see the landscapers mowing my yard. I'm thinking about bringing in the furniture from the lanai -- still have plenty of time.

The best part about a hurricane forecast for Florida is all my friends around the globe check in to be sure I'm okay. My cousin, Teegie, one of the MS Maes, called this morning and our conversation turned to SEC football and the grandkids. Hurricane Fay, who is she?

For information on Sarasota FL real estate, contact Annette at 941-504-3922.

No comments: