Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Sarasota Lifestyles

Enjoyment of Collecting in Sarasota, FL

In addition to previewing Sarasota listings and selling Sarasota real estate, I'm an avid treasure collector. When I see a treasure, I know it is for me and just where to work it into my Sarasota home or my next "fixer upper" project. So when I started glancing through Sunday's, August 27, 2006, Herald Tribune, I was intrigued by the main article in the real estate section about Sarasota residents, Karee and Ed Valek. The Valeks hired landscape designer, Robert Davie to create a New Orleans style courtyard for their Old Forest Lakes home. The article caught my eye as I've been collecting old relics which are now referred to as my "treasures" by anyone who asks for an explanation of these old pieces. An antique gate was featured in this article, and since my collection includes old columns, a knight in armor, pots, wrought iron pieces and pretty much anything that talks to me, I read more.

In the 1960s I enjoyed my T. Harry Williams history classes at LSU almost as much as going to a football game at Tiger Stadium. The LSU Tigers stayed with me and Mr. Williams history lessons trinkle my life through my collection of treasures each with their own history. The Herald article beautifully describes this Old Forest Lakes home and its passionate LSU residents -- not many of those fans in Gator country. Not knowing the Valeks but knowing that we were kindred LSU fans with a West Virginia connection too, I placed a call to Karee. We spoke shortly and her Southern graciousness was quite apparent from beginning to end of our conversation. I hope to be able to cheer with these Tigers at an LSU broadcast in the future and visit their special "garden" although I will miss seeing the LSU carved into their backyard -- the new swimming pool will just have to do.

Saturday or Sunday mornings are the best days to visit Sarasota's garage and estate sales. Visit South Gate or Forest Lakes on any weekend and you too can fill a seat, a trunk or a trailer full of "stuff." Some of my found treasures:

1. A wine goblet from Galatoire's in New Orleans -- brought back to me from a wedding in the French Quarter. The goblet houses a small matchbook collection from around the globe.

2. A very old newspaper clipping of the menu and offerings of "Doe's Eat Place" - a famous "hole in the wall" steakhouse in Greenville, MS, my hometown. Doe's has been visited by many celebrities and it is celebratory spot for many college graduates who got a degree to earn a steak at Doe's.

3. Many pieces of blue and white porcelain collected from Atlanta to Sarasota- each holds a different memory in my heart

4. A fabulous rhinestone pin sent to me from Baton Rouge by my former roomie and cousin Teegie Hamilton with the letter "LSU" found for $1.50, now worth about $150.

5. A very special autographed picture of Dick Clark from 1960 when I danced on American Bandstand in Philly.

6. An orginal Decca record of "Sugar Blues". My Dad played the sax in the recording. This one purchased on Ebay.

7. A chandellier bought at a Sarasota estate sale by a friend and presented to me as "just perfect" for your house. It was!

If you're a collector of treasures, be sure to make the South Gate and Forest Lakes rounds on a weekend in Sarasota!

No comments: